Monday, January 25, 2016

5 on Friday on Monday

1.  Do you believe in luck, fate or a higher being?
I believe in several forces at work in the universe, including luck and karma (which I don't believe are the same thing). Whether there's a conscious higher power is the one thing that I am sure of.

 
2.  Are you in control of your own destiny or someone else pulling the strings of your life?
I have a lot of control over my destiny, but obviously there are some things I can't control-- but I don't necessarily believe someone is controlling them for me so much as they're just circumstances that have happened at random or because of other people. For example, I didn't choose the circumstances of my birth, my gender, or my race, nor did I choose for the economy to be the way it is or for various plans of mine to have not worked out. (Naturally, if I planned them, I was hoping they would!).  Some things may be the result of karma or unforeseen consequences of my choices, but sometimes they just happen-- and how I weave them into the narrative of my life is up to me.
3.  What are your lucky charms if you own any?
I don't have physical charms for luck. However, I do have some superstitious behaviors-- though they ride a fine line with compulsion.

4.  Is the world really just a stage and are we merely actors on that stage?
If you want to think of it that way, sure. I think there are many valid ways to view reality and your life within it. Personally I like the idea that we're all handed a certain prompt (in the form of the circumstances we face in life) to use to write our life's story.

5.  Describe what happened on your "luckiest" day (positive or negative).
Since I consider luck to be related to random probability and completely independent of good works or skill, I don't think I've ever had a particularly lucky or unlucky day.

2 comments:

CWMartin said...

1- I believe in God's plan. The rest is just our perceptions of it working.

2- Control is a very strong word...


3- I don't have anything I am actually superstitious of- except don't mention it's a no hitter until the game is over.

4- Well, Shakespeare was an actor, so he'd see it that way. I think it tends to ... what word do I want... denigrate what we go through in life.

5- I thought this was a "G" rated blog, lol!

Bob G. said...

MsN:
Had me worried for a time.
I miss your "FIVE"...

1) Yes, yes, and yes...nut NEVER to the SAME degree.
(and what Chris said)

2) I believe that there ARE those who WISH to control us, and we have to be wary of THEM. I'd rather prefer to know that if there is any REAL control, it's in God's domain.

3) Lucky Charms? I don't even like he cereal...LOL.
(but I do wear a USAF commemorative dog tag). Don't really have any talismans.

4) I can also understand the Bard's take on things. It's a very good analogy.
But you have to admit that we REALLY have some "characters" out there, right?

5) Any day I wake up and am NOT shot feels "lucky"...LOL
LUCK is what you think it is, FATE is what occurs when random events coalesce and converge to a specific point in time, and GOD is overseeing it all.
That works well enough for this old Philly boy.

Very good list.

Stay safe & warm down there, dear.